RE: [MV] Paint or lube?

From: Glen Bedel (GBedel@designforum.com)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 06:27:10 PDT

Motorcyle shops may have it also.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Muller [mailto:bmuller@marathonheaters.com]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 8:52 AM
To: mil-veh@mil-veh.org
Subject: Re: [MV] Paint or lube?

I have found that if you want to get it lubed and not attract dust, use
Slip-Plate. It is a graphite compound you can get in a can or spray. Put
it on, let it dry and away you go. I and a lot of farmers use it on chains
where oil would act as a dust magnet. It does a great job with no
"stickyness". You can probably find it on line or any farm store.

At 08:55 PM 8/11/02 -0700, Paul A. Thomas wrote:
>I'm sorry to be asking such a basic question. I have my hand brake
>assembly apart ( M35 ) currently. This handle has a grip release, teeth on
>the gear at the pivot point next to drivers seat, a 'set bit' which locks
>into the gear teeth to set the brake.
>I've removed the rust and layers of paint, and wondered what to put on the
>metal on metal gear itself? I thought paint would peel off with use,
>clogging the mechanism. But oil or WD-40 would attract dust and clog up
>too. The metal frame is bent up, from a number of directions, so I will
>want to replace it at some point. But that could be years from now if I
>get it working properly so want to do it well this time. I also get the
>feeling this question will come up many times as I move through the truck
>and pumping apparatus.
>
>Many thanks.
>
> Paul
> MVPA 24986

Bob Muller - Water Heater Innovations, Inc
        bmuller@marathonheaters.com
Voice (518)872-1002 Fax (518)872-1012
       http://www.marathonheaters.com