Re: [MV] Bay Area: Vintage Willys Engine Repair Recommendations

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 05:12:07 PDT

Chris Hello: It's Aussie Rob here.

$8000 is so far out of line that tell all your friends not to touch those
mechanics as they must be purely ripoff bastards.

My experince follows:

Have you tried going direct to an machine that does nothing else ...than
rebores, new pistons, hardened valve seats, new oil pump, camshaft gear and
chain replacement, camshaft bearing replacement , etc?????
Even Napa etc.!

In my area, The guy actually does this and puts it all together for $700

I have done three engines this way. I used to do my own, however, this guy
and his price is excellent. I am in the middle of New York State, Syracuse
area.
At the price of $8000 you could rebuild ten engines & ship it ten times
over and still come out ahead !

To remove the engine, tow it to a local guy to pull it.
I do my own ...however, you seem like you don't have the choice.
At $55/hour it takes them experience guys two hours to remove an another two
hours to install.

Certainly not anywhere near the money your talking about.

You mentioned that they "don't work on these vintage engines" ...A sntence
like this raises another "flag" !

All these parts are readily available in their catologues as well as,
available through the dozens of our groups Military Vehicle - Parts
Suppliers. On the east coast, Karl Walck has been my choice. One new
piston with rings is around $26 ...so cheap!

Respectfully, I think these guys you've checked ...see you coming ?
An because they realise you are at "their mercy" ...and because they're
basically unscrupulous, then, they "will" rip you off !

My aged mother went to guys like this for years... she had "total trust" in
them. They totally abused her trust. One day, she mentioned the price and
what they did to her car !!! These trusted people are total money sucking
ripoff bastards.
"Of course not all of them (mechanics and rebuilders) are this way, as you
see by my preceeding paragraphs.

Don't be fooled, I recently saw a Napa rebuild that cost around $1500 !!!
Twiice my local rebuilder... but well below $8000

Good luck and keep searching,
Regards,
Aussie Rob
Upstate NY area