Re: [MV] Bay Area: Vintage Willys Engine Repair Recommendations

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 19:41:43 PDT

Hi Chris...

>I am currently working on restoring a '53 Willys 4x4 Wagon. I'm looking for
>a local (Bay Area) mechanic that might be able to work on the '64 Willys
>F-head 4 cylinder engine that's in my vehicle and wanted to see if anyone on
>this list might have a recommendation. Engine needs a leak-down test and
>potential removal/re-build - within a finite budget.
>
>The regular mechanics I have contacted don't work on vintage engines like
>this and the couple "restoration" shops I have called are quoting 6-12 month
>waiting lists and $8,000 price tags. My goal is to get the engine running
>again - NOT restore it to original factory spec and concours correctness.
>
>I am located in San Jose (Willow Glen) so the closer the better but am
>willing to trailer the vehicle up to ~100 miles.

I'm up here in Belmont CA and my mechanic is great and could do the
work for you...he's not cheap, but he's not $8 grand!

Joe's Family Auto, (650) 596-9811. Ask for Joe and tell him I
referred you to him. Remind him of my military Suburban.

He's the nicest, most honest person (let alone mechanic) you'd ever
want to meet. His shop is right at Harbor and 101 (Harbor is the exit
just south of Oracle at Ralston Ave).

If anyone has a CUCV or other diesel MV, Joe is a master on older
diesels!

Good luck!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net