Re: [MV] Axle swap on M-1009

From: Kenneth Engle (recovry4x4@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 21:35:21 PDT

Your axles are almost a direct swap. Starting with the
front, you will need the ubolt plates off a donor
vehicle. Dana 60 only uses 3 ubolts and 2 bolts that
thread into the housing. Front driveshaft will have to
be shortened a bit unless you get one from a donor
truck. Beware that the M1028 (I think) has a different
transfer case in regards to driveshaft length. Also
need to swap rubber brake lines in the front. As far
as the rear, it will bolt right up. U joints are
different but Spicer sells a combination joint with
1310 caps on one side and 1350 caps on the other. Rear
driveshaft length is OK. Be advised that an adjustable
proportioning valve may be required to prevent rear
axle lockup during braking. Thats all I can think of
right now. Any specific questions, just shout. Oh
yeah, the rear u bolts and u blot plates are a bit
wider to accomodate the larger diameter housing.
--- Jim Zehr <jeeperjim@cox-internet.com> wrote:
> Hello fellow M.V.ers
> Has anyone out there installed M-1008 axles on a
> M-1009? I know the ratio
> is not as desirable due to military specs (3.03
> versus 4.??) The M-1009 is
> just short of 32 inches from spring pad to pad.
> What is the spring pad
> distance on the M-1008s. I would appreciate hearing
> from someone that has
> been involved in a similar operation.
> Are there any people with spare axles or vehicles
> being parted out that
> would have the front and back for sale. How about
> the 8 bolt wheels?
> Any one have extras for sale?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim