Re: [MV] Axle swap on M-1009

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 04:42:09 PDT

Jim,
    I have not done this particular swap, but I did swap axles from a
3/4-ton Chevy truck (10-bolt front, 14-bolt FF rear) into my 1/2-ton (same
10-bolts as M1009, basically). The only problem I ran into was with the
pinion angle. The spring perches on the 14-bolt FF from the donor were not
welded to give the same pinion angle as the 10-bolt that it was replacing.
(Actually, it had to do with the front and rear spring hangers, but the
result is the same.)
    I think you may have this problem with the M1009, too, since the
wheelbase is much shorter than the M1008 donor. You may need to get the
angled shims to correct this, or have them cut off and welded on in the
correct spot. I had custom steel shims made, rather than use the aluminum
ones you get a 4-wheel drive shops. You may want to double check the angle
between the spring perch and pinion on both axles before you start. It may
save you a headache later on.

    --Neil