Silicone Brake Fluid in 1009 (and Disc Brake levels)

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 06:32:45 PDT

Neil replied: I've never seen the back get really low without a leak.

Some clarification may be in order.
On MOST dual Master Cylinders, the rear portion of the master goes to the
FRONT brake axle. And having Discs on the front, it's common to see it go
down an inch or two over the life of the pads wearing down. Inside the lid
is a rubber bellows, which will be sucked in as the fluid level goes down.
This has two effects (at least I know of) It reduces the amount of air which
could contain water vapor within the master, and prevents sloshing, which
could allow air to enter the inlet port at severe angles. (there's likely a
more technical purpose to the bellows, but these are my thoughts.

So it's "normal" to see the front brake side of the booster be lower than
the rear (disc or drum) axle level and that "Should" be why you see the rear
section of the reservoir lower. Now if you ADD fluid, remember, that if you
push the calipers in to install a new set of pads, it's going to overflow
the reservoir.
Regards
WA Winget

PS: Military Vehicle and militaria Show 6-8 Sept at the Virginia War
Memorial (near the James River Bridge, Newport News, Virginia) Not a parts
show, but militaria dealers will have a bunch of stuff. We have 20+
vehicles scheduled to show, Plus Artillery pieces and I'll give German 3Ton
Pioneer Halftrack Rides. WAW