Re: [MV] Caulk?

From: Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 15:28:28 PDT

If you are installing caulking in the seams between body panels where they
overlap and bolt together, a good suggestion is zinc chromate putty strips.
This putty has been used in cars and aircraft for many years. It was
designed specifically for this purpose. Any excess simply squeezes out of
the seam where it can be easily scraped off, it stays flexible for many
years, and the zinc chromate prevents rust in the seam. Available through
automotive restoration suppliers, aircraft suppliers (such as Aircraft
Spruce and Specialty Company), and the better auto body supply stores.

A modern alternative is urethane body panel caulk/adhesive, used by new car
manufacturers in lieu of other materials like silicone caulk, since the
urethane caulk is far stronger and tougher, it adheres much more
aggressively, it is harder (but still elastic), and it can be painted. It
might even outlast the silicone, too. Of course, it costs considerably more
than silicone caulk, but it's worth it. Available at auto body supply stores
in standard caulking-gun tubes or in smaller tubes.

Alan