Re: [MV] Stamping new dataplate

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 18:38:36 PDT

I bought one of these stamping kits about 8 years ago at harbor freight
tools. They are cheap but work good on soft metal. I took the liberty of
looking on their web site and they do still have them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35121

They have them in various sizes and even if you don't feel comfortable using
these on your data plate, they work great for all sorts of stuff. I stamped
the belt sizes for my truck on a piece of aluminum and riveted to the fire
wall of my ford truck.

As a word of advice, I find it best to stamp on a hard surface, anvil or
something like that. Soft things like wood let the metal bend before it
cuts the letter. Always test on a useless piece first to see if you like
it. Once you stamp that plate it's there for life. If someone disagrees
I'm sure they will post it. We are a very "opinionated" group aren't we.

Joe Trapp