Re: [MV] 'Electric armour' vaporizes anti-tank grenades and shell s

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 15:05:51 PDT

At 2:17 PM -0700 8/25/02, Dave Ball wrote:
>Hi, List
>Things to try on a tank with a long extension cord or big generator trailer
>in tow.
>30-millimeter gatlling guns with DU (depleted uranium) ammunition delivered
>by the A-10 Warthog I think with a 1000 rounds in a steady stream some
>should penetrate. 1000lb laser-guided bombs, Maverick, Hellfire missiles,
>30mm Rarden Cannon, Enflilaid shots from ATGW, large DU anti-tank mines get
>them in the soft belly, large camouflaged pits of gasoline or even Hades

Dave, I think you're confusing two things. The electric armor concept
would really work well against a Shaped Charge war head and the
copper slug that it fires. I suspect that the self forging fragment
warheads would also be vulnerable. Any kind of warhead like that of a
single large or series of DU projectiles would likely penetrate the
second layer regardless of the potential difference between the two
layers.

The point of this technology is to provide an additional means of
defeating light anti-armor weapons that rely on shaped charge
warheads. Training and doctrine go along with this, but I suspect
this technology is aimed not only at heavy armor but also lighter
vehicles that are exceedingly vulnerable to ATGW and RPG fire.

This development is just like the continuing increase of armor
thickness, profile changes, spacing, composite layers, standoff
layers and reactive armor.

If we stuck just to training, the crews would all be running around
in Tank Destroyers with minimal armor protection. We saw how well
that worked in WWII.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)