Re: [MV] 'Electric armour' vaporizes anti-tank grenades and shell s

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 21:31:56 PDT

I understand the idea. The problem I have is how does this thin armor, consisting of two plates of conducting material with some insulator between them
defuse the shaped charge. Forget about the copper that it supposidely vaporizes. What happens to the energy of the shaped charge? Where does that
go? If it was just the copper that had to be eliminated that would be one thing. But it is not. Also, how does the capacitor shell heal it self after being laced
with a load of copper? Certainly if the copper was vaporized it would also tend to redeposiit itself all over the place. I just can't see how some protective
device like this could withstand first the shaped charge, vaporize the copper, then recover and allow it to withstand a second Round. It just seems too
good to be true. Also, what energy would be required to vaporize this quantity of copper. We are talking some serious Joules here. And again how could
this system aborb the energy of the shaped charge and still function? It must be one hell of a capacitor charged to some seriously high voltage. What if it
rains, does that short out the capacitor effect? I guess it had better be discharged before exiting the vehicle to avoid death by electrocution.

Dave