Re: [MV] MV mag latest issue

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 17:04:00 PDT

Ok I am not crazy. I got it and it is now in an alternative place
unbeknownst to me (lost).

I had started to read a letter about someone who was thinking about puting a
GMC engine and 5 sp into a WW2 Chevy. Whoever he was quoting (I guess an
article in a previous MV mag) is WRONG!

You cannot put a 5 sp Clark onto a Chevy or GMC engine in a WW2 Chevy. You
cannot operate the gas pedal! The GMC power train sits about 2" lower in
the chassis and that allows the floor to go over the 5 sp. In a Chevy, you
have to try to sneak your foot around behind the extended top cover of the
tranny. You could not drive the truck that way. I know this because I tried
it.

If they were quoting an article in MV magazine, I wish someone who knew
something about this had been asked....

Also, the GMC engine is about 1.5" longer than the Chevy. You can adapt a
chevy engine to a cckw by making a small plate to extend forward the front
mount. On installing the GMC into a Chevy, the motor mount is now behind the
timing cover, possibly into the oil pan...

Steve AKA Dr Deuce