Re: [MV] Towing M35's

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 11:45:25 PDT

I have about 2000 miles on my tow bar dragging deuces with my 1 ton truck.
What are you going to tow with? No brakes are the biggest issue. After that
make sure you have proper lighting, correctly rated hitch, safety chains and
common sense. Sharp turns are a no-no and backing near impossible. On sharp
turns the wheels on towed vehicle tend to turn the opposite direction. The
only deuce I towed that didn't do this was a vintage M275 tractor. My
thinking was that because it was so old, the rear springs had sagged and
changed the caster. Leave several hundred feet between you and the vehicle
in front of you. 13000# of deuce pushing you can be intimidating. Weight
whatever your towing to assist in braking. I always remove axle shafts and
the 4 outer rear tires plus the spare and put them in the back of my towing
truck. This moves about 1000# from the towed vehicle to the towing vehicle.
I'll post more as I think about it!

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL U.S.A.
AM General M-35A2