Re: [MV] Big Brother IS watching for sure!

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 09:17:29 PDT

>Lets not forget that the AWB and freezing of the NFA registry was
>accomplished with the consent of another republican president.

Awe, but Ryan... that takes all the fun out of bashing Klinton and his
evil minions! Damn, I hate it when facts ruin a good story :-)

Seriously, your points are spot on. It is also worthy to note that
previous administrations and legislatures, as well as future ones, love
to ram things through when they see the political opportunity to do so.
 It doesn't matter how ill conceived, potentially unconstitutional, or
even counter productive... it can and will happen from time to time. Or
can someone else explain to me how it was that not too long ago having a
bottle of beer in my own house could land me in jail? Worse, being
SUSPECTED of having a bottle of beer was enough to have a gaggle of law
enforcement coming into my house and then charge me for any other
"crimes" they happened to find me in violation of if they couldn't find
the beer. Oh, like having a set of cards with naked women on them. And
don't even get me started about what happened to people with yellow skin
and slanted eyes who happened to live on the West Coast the last time we
were sneak attacked.

I find that those who are most shocked by what is happening today don't
have a clue what happened yesterday or the days before it. I might not
like what happens today, but I am not surprised by it. Personally, I
still think we Americans are *far* better protected from government
intrusion and abuse than our forefathers ever were. Don't believe me?
 Check out the history books and (for example) see if you find multiple
examples of late 19th and early 20th Century workers moving to unionize
(mostly so that they could actually get paid for the time they worked)
being shot to death, beaten, and arrested by local, State, and/or Federal
troops with the LEGAL authority to do so. At least the FBI shooter at
Ruby Ridge was held accountable and the "victim" compensated.

People don't have to be happy about some of the BS that is going on now,
but a bit of perspective isn't a bad thing.

Steve