Re: [MV] Who's Vehicle is it? (was: Big Brother IS watching for sure!)

From: Dave Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 00:44:50 PDT

I think the answer is simple it is not what you I or anyone else in the
hobby thinks it up to the man at the door or the airshow or event of your
choice once it is in his hands you have to prove you have the right to own
and operate it. I know of half a dozen people who went through this. Some
got there vehicles back, some did not, some went to jail, all lost a lot of
money.
If you are driving a 73 M151A2 and your title says its a 1973 Willys and the
man at your door has a sheet of paper and looks for the numbers on your
vehicle and it looks like a M151 and looks fishy what do you think will
happen... hopefully "sorry to disturb you have a nice day"
I was told by a California highway patrolman that use of the California
highways is a privilege that can be revoked at the states discretion and
that if it is decided a vehicle is unsafe he can have it towed to impound.
At the time I was driving (limping) a Commercial hummer home from an offroad
event and had a bad front end shimmy because of a bad ball joint (common) I
finished the trip in the front seat of a tow truck with the Hummer riding on
the flat bed.
I have not heard of any confiscations in a while 4 or 5 years Back at least.
If you are in the possession of former government property can you prove you
have the right to own it? without a doubt? That's all that matters at least
in my thinking I need that piece of mind when I drive on to a military
reservation in my vehicle.
Of course its good to get a property receipt at the gate if what you are
driving looks like what they are driving, only cleaner and in better shape.

Dave