Re: [MV] Who's Vehicle is it? (was: Big Brother IS watching for sure!)

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 16:43:38 PDT

I must respectfully dissagree with most of your post.

>Furthermore, the LICENSE to drive anything is a PRIVELEDGE, not a right.

People keep saying this.... prove it ! Quote me the source, either state or
fed, that says driving is a priveledge. Seems to me it's more of a
convenient tax source.

>Here again. If you make a vehicle out of ANYTHING, (scrap Mil-Vehs, home
>construction, or waffles and cocktail weenies), that is on State or Federal
>highways, you have to prove that it is safe for you and the other folks on
>the road.

That's a state issue. I have studied my states mv (motor vehicle) codes. It
is pretty basic stuff, horn, lights, windshield, bumbers, seat belts, etc.
No mention of needing DOT certification, just that you must have these x
number of things. Manufacturing a vehicle for sale is a whole other matter
from homebuilding one, I am in all of my last post talking about building a
vehicle by me, for me not for somone else for profit.

>> > So go another step. M60's, M1's etc. are not supposed to be in private
>> hands at all right? So what if I reconstruct one from scraped units? what
>if I
>> > make one from scratch? Can the government then come in and confiscate
>it?
>
>HELL YES! Firearms manufacture, or re-manufacture is a no-no without proper
>licensing. The key word being "licensing". BATF has very large microscopes
>and rubber gloves. You don't want them up your b*tt.

Prove it. Quote me the law that says I can't have a tank. The gun is another
issue, I'm talking about what we would normally concider a de-mill'd
vehicle, meaning weaponry inoperable. What law, what agency, what code,
where does this come from? And as to ATF, do remember that they are under
the treasury dept. Thier authority to regulate any of this comes from tax
issues.

>You need a license to drive a car, catch a fish, hunt game, open a business,
>or fly a plane. All of these are based on compliance with certain criteria.

Partialy true, it's also about revenue gathering from convenient and
enforcable sources.

later,

je