oil pan on M35

From: specwar (specwar@piace.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 20:37:22 PDT

I have a 1964 M35A2C with an LDT-465-1C engine, on a recent 50 mile trip
the front seal on the oil pan started belching so much oil I had lost 3
quarts by the time I was through. I then decided to drop the pan and
reseal it, then is when I noticed some peculiarities. One was the fact
that you can't remove the pan while the motor is still in the truck. The
second and I am not sure if this is a standard practice or not is that
there was no gasket between the pan and the block. I noted that there
was the pan, a rubber seal and the a metal "shim" welded to the pan on
top of the rubber seal, in efect if the rubber seal fails its time for a
new pan. Shouldn't there be some type of seal on something like that if
you have a metal to metal contact? I can't imagine however tight that it
is torqued down that a metal to metal seal would prevent high temp high
pressure oil from sequeezing through. Anybody out there let me know what
you have encountered. I decided to use Permetex High temp RTV to make a
seal where there was none.

Bob Wilson
M35A2C "The Exxon Valdez"