To CDL or not to CDL....

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 21:24:16 PDT

Let me begin with the usual disclaimers....i.e. your state's laws may vary,
etc etc etc.

Most states have different classes of licenses (A, B or C) and then on top
of that, they have Commercial Driver's Licenses -OR- regular non commercial
Driver's Licenses, the requirement for which is determined by whether or not
you are driving for remuneration / compensation -OR- hauling an amount of
hazardous material requiring placards.

Typically, a Class A license is required to operate a vehicle with a gross
combined vehicle weight rating of 26,001# or more, operated in combination
(with a trailer) -AND- the trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating of
10,001# or more. (GVWR of 10,000 or LESS and the GVWR of the trailer is NOT
added to the GVWR of the power unit to formulate a GCWR.) Real life example
from here in Texas..... My trailer has a GVWR of 20,000#. Therefore the
trailer will count towards the gross combined weight rating in any case as
the GVWR of the trailer is OVER 10,000#. If I pull it with a truck with a
GVWR of 6,001# or more, I would be required to have a non commercial Class A
driver's license because the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001#
or more......6,001# GVWR truck, plus 20,000# GVWR trailer equals GCWR of
26,001#. CDL would not be required unless I was being compensated in some
way for the haul.

Typically, a Class B license is required to operate a single vehicle with a
gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001# or more. With this license, one can
add a trailer with a GVWR of NO MORE THAN 10,000# to your 26,001# GVWR truck
and only have to have a Class B driver's license. Remember, if the trailer
ain't over 10,000# GVWR it don't count towards a GCWR.

Most of us are familiar with the Class C driver's license but did you know
there is a Class C CDL? A perfect example is a driver, driving a van or
car, hauling radioactive materials to and from hospitals. Placards are
required for any amount of radioactive materials, therefore a CDL is a
requirement and of course only a Class C CDL would be needed in this case.

Further confusing the issue is that most MV's weight rating is for the
payload of the vehicle excluding the weight of the vehicle itself.
Therefore what your data plate may show as a gross weight rating (GWR) is
not a gross vehicle-weight rating (GVWR) and you will be held accountable
should the nice policeman be examining your driver's license roadside,
believe me. Don't confuse GVWR with GWR!

Hope this helps.
Regards,
TJ Smith
MVPA 21162
(your friendly local license and weight inspector)