Re: [MV] [MV] Who's Vehicle is it?  (was :  Big Brother IS watching for sure!)

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 11:15:52 PDT

>By the way do you know what a bunch of crazy nuts we would look like
>dashing about in Jeeps, Scout Cars, Deuces and 1/2-3/4 ton Dodge trucks
>shooting automatic weapons we just might scare them back into the sea if
>they thought the whole country was as crazy as those on the left and right
>coast or even worse when the got to hill country.

I think such people would have a far greater chance of causing fear and
panic amongst their fellow citizens. The history of armed citizen
"Partisan" forces is checkered at best (including those of the
Revolutionary war. They murdered and plundered as well as fought the
British Army). Call me crazy, but I trust "militias" about as much as I
trust a dead tree leaning over my house. Sure, it might never fall
during my ownership of the house, but I wouldn't bet on it.

While I don't trust the government to protect all my rights, I trust my
fellow neighbor to do so far less. One is at least somewhat accountable
for its actions, the other is accountable to nobody unless he is out
gunned. I do not want to live in an environment where my "vote" is
determined by the weapon I own and the ammo I have stockpiled. Plus, the
government's voting booths are a LOT safer :-)

BTW, it is utterly pointless to debate the 2nd Ammendment's "true
meaning". People who spend their whole lives researching this, day in
and day out, *and* have legal/accademic credentials, can't totally agree
on the details. However, there is a consensus of sorts that it is not as
absolute as some people would like it to be. The lack of specifics cuts
both ways you know... the "right to bear arms" could be interpreted to
mean "the right to own and posess a black poweder, smooth bore rifle or
pistol" just as much as it could be "the right to own a Stinger missle".

Steve