Re: [MV] Sand blasting unit

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 07:27:14 PDT

Hi Paul
Sandblastinig is a very useful tool but it has a lot of issues too. You can
tape off the area near your work with heavy duct tape to prevent that area
from being blasted. The bigger the blaster the less precise it is. If you
are using a good size blaster plan on a huge mess on and around the truck,
and in the yard. If you do it in a garage (voice of experience) the place
will look like a dust storm came through unless you erect a tent over the
work area. Trying to reuse the sand is heartburn because the media is not
dry a lot of the time like the new stuff in the bag. It also has all kinds
of foreign particles mixed in. These things cause it to plug up in the
nozzle unless you are using one big unit that will pass them. When you are
done you will need to prime the bare steel and then do your body work with
plastic and body putty etc before paint. It will not be ready to paint as
it is and will not have a feathered edge or be smooth. It is a great tool
but it is a mess as well. Sometimes nothing will beat it though for rot
work.

Glenn
MVPA