Re: [MV] To CDL or not to CDL....

From: Stuart & Jane Robinson (stalwart@nwlink.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 09:49:33 PDT

On Saturday, September 14, 2002, at 12:32 AM, opcom wrote:

> Biggest truck I have ever been able to rent without a commercial truck
> drivers license was rates 25,999 lbs..

Quite true. This rule applies to the GVW of the vehicle NOT the actual
vehicle's weight at the time. I'm not sure of the GVW of a "deuce" but
a 5 ton would REQUIRE a CDL to operate. I used to drive my Stalwarts
calling them passenger vehicles but with an empty weight of 20,000 lbs
and a payload capacity of 11,000 lbs puts the Stalwart WAY over the
legal 26,000 lb limit. Since I only carried a few passengers I took
the risk but once I started hauling my MV's, a CDL was the only way to
keep "Officer Friendless" at bay.

The state DOT officers and patrolmen are, on the most part, fairly
strict on operations of larger vehicles. I'd think getting away with a
deuce, after showing it's GVWR is under 26,001 lbs, should be no
problem (except in Kalifornia) but talking your way out of a ticket
with a loaded 5 ton would be nearly impossible.

Stuart