Re: [MV] To CDL or not to CDL....

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 10:40:43 PDT

> Biggest truck I have ever been able to rent without a commercial truck
> drivers license was rates 25,999 lbs..

In California, they go by weight but also by axle count. With more than
two axles, 6000 lb is the largest thing I can drive without a special
license. However, reading the conditions for which one must have a
Commercial license carefully I noticed a comma. ( just LOVE those contract
law cases! <g>) The second part of the statement gives specifications like
number of axles, GVW, etc. The first part says basically the vehicle must
be for commercial use, to make money. As fire trucks don't make money (
they are great a eating it tho ) I should be able to drive my truck with a
normal CA license.
Ca also has requirements if it has air brakes. My '53 M35 has air
assisted, not air brakes.

We'll see how far all of that goes if I am ever stopped, but if read solely
as a legal contract that comma and the wording around it mean both halves
of the equation must apply.

And as it will be driven less than a thousand miles a year, the chances of
being questioned drop even further.
FWIW

        Paul