RE: [MV] deuce injection pump hydraulic head removal question

From: Spunky's Motor Pool (spunkysmotorpool@cox.net)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 09:11:29 PDT

Hi Jim,

I've pulled a couple of pumps, and this is what I know from my limited
experience - maybe it will help.

First I'd try this. With your fuel lines disconnected from the pump head,
turn the motor over and have someone watch and see that you're getting a
good delivery of fuel out of each hole. It should go around in a circular
pattern. If you don't have proper fuel delivery at all holes, the problem
is deeper in the pump than the head. If you decide to remove the pump,
email me and I can walk you through removing it. In this area (Virginia)
it's around $800 to have one rebuilt - hopefully it's cheaper in your neck
of the woods!

If you do just need to remove the head, first of all, make sure that the
engine is in time - let me know if you need info on how to do this. Then,
with your fuel lines removed from the head, remove the 2 screws that hold
the engine stop cover on the side and remove the cover. You'll then see a
little linkage rod with a bracket and 2 screws and some lacing wire that
hold it on. Cut the lacing wire, remove the 2 screws, and take the clip
off of the linkage rod. The assy will then slide out of the pump. Note
that on the end of it that's inside of the pump, there's a small flat
paddle that can come out of the end of it. Don't lose it! It sits in a
groove that's in the shaft of the head that you're pulling out. This is
what shuts the fuel off when you pull out on the engine stop cable in the
truck. You can then pull up on the head and it should come out.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck in your project!

Harold

Spunky's Motor Pool Co.
www.spunkysmotorpool.com
10007 Sycamore Landing Rd.