Fw: [MV] M1009 Alternators. Question

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 21:15:25 PDT

> That is correct, one is charging one battery at 12 volts the other is
> charging both batteries at 24 . Kind of take ya of guard for a while !

WRONG!! Cannot happen this way! As the batteries are in SERIES, so are
the alternators. Both alternators are 12 VOLTS each and are in series with
each other. (center tap going to the center tap of the batteries) I did an
article on this charging system some time ago and will try to retrieve it
and repost it. Since they are in series, the POS of the RIGHT side
alternator will be 24 volts to ground. IT IS NOT CHARGING BOTH BATTERIES.
If it were, there would be no need of the left alternator. If you notice,
BOTH alts have isolated grounds. (alt case is not grounded as are most
civvy alternator units) LEFT side ground goes to ground of vehicle. The
POS of left side goes to NEG of RIGHT side alternator and a wire from this
connection goes to the center tap of the batteries. This is why one alt
cannot charge both batteries. The POS of right side (this point measures 24
volts to ground) goes to the POS of its' respective battery. Julian Burke