Re: [MV] brakes

From: Kris Kirby (kris@catonic.net)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 20:45:18 PDT

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Everette wrote:
> (a) never had anything this big on wheels -
> (b) never had anything this old on wheels -

Yes and yes

> (c) has driven new SUV

No.

> with good brakes and thinks everything should stop like it did when it
> was new. and M35 is new to him so should stop the same.

> You and I both know that if you do a proper brake job like you describe and
> are going down road at 50 and stomp brake pedal every one in cab better be
> belted in - and everything in bed will come to the front quickly. The big
> green monster will squat in the middle of the road, not a lot of tire squeal
> and slide just a sudden stop. I would put the stopping distance of a M35
> with proper brakes up against most anything. BUT if driver does not know
> what to expect and how to react everyone is in trouble for these great
> machines do not respond like the family SUV.

Taken to heart.

> For when 13 to 15 thousand pounds of steel gets squirrelly is not the time
> to take lessons. Take it on weekend to a deserted parking lot and try a
> panic stop - great lessons to be learned this way - and if you want a real
> learning experience do this on wet blacktop.

Will keep this in mind -- very _very_ good point. What are the chances of
actually managing to put a deuce on it's side when empty and skidding?

Also, I've been told that the Hummer will, with fresh brakes, make a panic
stop from 35 MPH and lift the rearend a foot in the air...

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris@nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"