Re: [MV] M37 Engine problems (Oy Vey)

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 19:39:25 PDT

>A- A way to get a broken easy out - out of the engine block

You can try any or all of the following. I have done all of these at one
point or another, not all may be applicable.

Place a nut over the stud and fill in the hole with a welder being sure to
penetrate into the stud, I have only ever done this with TIG, can't vouch
for other welding methods. Apply liberal amount of Kroil, several
applications even, before doing this, and after. Often times the combination
of Kroil and heat with the little bit of force you can generate with the nut
is enough.

Heat the stud with a TIG torch, which has very concentrated and high heat,
and maintain it red/orange for ??? I don't know, 10 seconds or so perhaps.
This will heat up the surounding metal but no where near what a gas torch
would, yet the high temp imparted to the stud may be enough to break any
rust bond. Carefull tapping with suitable chisels/punches tools may allow
you to unthread it.

Using various chisels, my personal favorite being a round nose cape chisel,
eat away at the stud till you can expose some of the extractor. Using
various chisel and punch type tools you may be able to loosen the extractor
in the hole and get it out or even pulverise it. Be prepaired to ruin the
points on most of the tools, you'll have to do some resharpening. You also
may damage some of the thread in the block but that should not be a problem
as there should be plenty left to maintain full strength, but something to
at least be aware or.

Drill out the stud and perhaps some or all of the thread in the block with a
hollow drill, sort of looks like a hole saw but more precise. I've only
bought one or two of these, don't know what they are actually called or
where to get them, seems to me they are intended for machine tools as
opposed to a hand drill as you cannot use a center drill even if it had one.
This will require you to make a guide block out of steel (most likely) that
the cutter just fits into, this block gets clamped using whatever is
available such that you keep it centered over the stud/hole. You may be
able to drill only the stud, depends on how large the extractor was, or you
may end up removing the entire thread from the block, in that case you will
have to install a thread insert, the solid type normally. Lots of variables
with this method but it may work here, maybe not.

Just a few random thoughts, hope it helps,

good luck,

je