fuel tanks

From: Maurizio Beretta (pierino@tin.it)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 03:56:26 PDT

let's talk about GPW fuel tanks...

I understand that first type (small neck filler) was delivered until
approx. end of 1942. Then, second type (large neck filler) took place.

a friend of mine owns the two types:
first one (1st type) has the side panels edges that overcome the upper and
bottom panel edges;

second one (2nd type) has the side panels edges welded together with upper
and bottom panels edges;

my question: that is valid for ALL tanks of each type ? ...I mean, ALL
first types have the first shape, and ALL second types have the second shape?

that's because we have the chance (I'm interested in "large" neck type,
while my friend is restoring an early GPW) to have these tanks rebuilt by
an old man, that after the job on panels (necessary..) could weld them
together ONLY as in the second type seems was the "rule".

tks,
maurizio

  | | Maurizio BERETTA mailto:pierino@tin.it
  |______(*)_| www.pierino.com
|_\ o||||o /_| Chiasso, 11
|----JeeP----| 20155 Milano MI Italy
|_| |_| ph. + 39 023270228 fax + 39 023270228