Re: [MV] M35 steering spindle nuts

From: Barry (btuttleman@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 13:21:10 PDT

an alternative to lockwashers:
on the hi-performance and hi-tech assemblies we deal with we use a
little known washer set known as "disc locks"; these are a pair of
serrated washers that fit together and lock in place, replacing any
lockwasher; when fitted in place, it takes a large amount of force
on the driver to actually begin to loosen the fastener. we have used
these on everything from blastproof cabinets built for defense con-
tractors testing explosive bolt technology to one of our 150+ hp
blown street HD's; these disc locks have NEVER failed. i have never
seen them for sale in local fastener stores, we special order ours
thru a fastener distributor; and they're a little expensive (like
$1 - $2 for a pair of 3/8" washers), but well worth it if you have
something you don't want undoing itself.
what i am referring to as "disc locks" may be the "serrated flange" that
is discussed in the earlier link to Tek-bolt.
we rarely use ny-locks; and if you do use them, use them ONLY ONCE;
the plastic is well worn by that time (altho it might feel like its
holding fairly well) and shouldn't be trusted in an area that you
might bet your life on. heat is an enemy to any ny-lock.
a correctly torqued fastener w/ the correct loc-tite compound (and be
advised that the preparation of the threads BEFORE the actual use of
the loc-tite compound is going to determine how well the loc-tite holds,
research the Loc-tite primer that should be used before the application
of any loc-tite compound), and a disc lock washer setup would be hard
to beat; and in areas where we were STILL worried about something
letting go we often used a small TIG weld from bolt head to its mate;
if something is going to spin after all that, better to just walk
away and get into model railroading!
barry
carson city, nv