Fuel economy....I don't understand

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 13:47:01 PDT

My CCKW gets a very consistent 6.5 mpg with no towed or carried load with
the newer
civy 302 engine (160 hp versus 104 for the original stock 270 engine)

This past weekend, I went to a tractor/equipment show in VT (very nice show
by the way) and was
concerned about the fuel mileage as I had the 1941 Fruehaff Searchlight
trailer (5100#) on the
back carrying the 1944 Clark Airborne Dozer (4300#). So I have an 11,000#
truck with a
9400# towed load. I filled up before I left and within 20 miles of my
destination. On the way back,
I filled up within 20 miles of home. Amazingly, I got about 5.9 mpg on both
fillups! Some hills, I
actually had to crawl up in 2nd gear (normal starting gear), and many I had
to creep up in 3rd or 4th
at 20-30 mph.

I don't quite understand how I could almost double the GVW and only loose
about 10% of my fuel
mileage. The trip was quite hilly across NH and 20 miles into VT.

Corn-fused

Steve AKA Dr Deuce