[MV] Insurance was Re: [MV] any aircraft on this list?

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 14:05:21 PDT

AAUGHHH.

My mistake. I meant to say driving is not a right.
Funny how shoveling dirt in your back yard on a 97 degree morning can make
you more fuzzy than usual.

sorry guys

Paul

At 11:42 AM 9/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:
Paul:

Interesting to see this from the industry's point of view.

I must, however, disagree with you re the "privilege" notion. Courts
in all 50 states have consistently held that driving is a privilege and
not right. Ergo, the state can suspend or revoke your driving
privilege. If it were a right, they couldn't suspend or revoke it.
Rights are not revocable.

I'd love to find a CA case where the courts have held that driving is
a right. Keep in mind that our "esteemed" CA attorney general, Bill
Lockyer has gotten himself into deep doodoo by stating in public
that the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution doesn't apply to
residents of California!

To my way of thinking, if driving isn't a privilege, then it's a
right. If you have info the contrary, I'd love to see it.

Regards,

Dick

Oh. Just occurred to me. Were you one of those on the 'driving is a
privilege" side in the recent thread?
IF it were a privilege then insurance would be something nice to carry,
protect others in the almost impossible event that 'I' caused an
accident.
I only read parts of that thread, as it seems a moot point to me. (
list
please bash me if the following is wrong ): AFAIK, NO courts in the US (
or
the world for that matter ) consider driving to be a privilege. If the
courts, which rule on and make law, say it is not a privilege then it's
not. If I can't afford a Ferrari I shouldn't drive one. State
inspections
supposedly make sure my Ferrari is safe to drive. If it doesn't pass, I
can't drive it thus protecting others from my poor mechanical
skills. Insurance serves a similar purpose: to 'protect' others from my
choices/actions.