Re: [MV] Cherry M35A2 on the bay..

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@netfox.net)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 16:54:22 PDT

    This is the same truck that was bid up to over $8200 a few weeks ago,
with the buyer apparently backing out after the close of the auction. Then,
if I remember correctly, it was offered again last week and the reserve was
not met. Was anyone even building new M35A2's in 1990? I would be interested
to see if the frame is stamped 1990. My guess is that it is probably a
rebuild date, which the government turned into the build date.
    Granted, it is a clean truck, but $8200!!!! Wow! I probably could not
get that for my mostly restored 1971 M35A2 W/W (and it's beautiful and
mechanically excellent). Heck, someone even paid $6200 for an M35A2 from GL
in the last sale!!! Can you believe that!?!?!?! It was a clean truck and was
reported as running, but, $6K!!! From GL!!!!!! That means with 10% buyers
premium you are looking at $6820!!!! That's before sales tax in AZ and in
your own state! There are many dealers who would like to get that kind of
money for the same quality trucks, with a guarantee!!! (I'm sure they'd even
do a Gillespie spray can job for that price). I mean, what if the transfer
case is screwed, or the clutch is slipping so bad it will hardly move,
etc..... I hope there was nothing wrong with it and they have good service
from it, but what if? Do these people not have any idea of the kinds of
tools that are necessary to perform this work yourself?

    Don't get me wrong about prices. I agree with those who say "You are
getting a lot of truck for the money", and I think these trucks are still a
great (even incredible) value. But, they are cheap because they are 20-40
years old and people pay what the goods are worth to them. Maybe, as was
suggested in a previous thread, we should all sell our stuff now while the
market is good and prices are high?

    BTW: Sorry if this comes through twice. The list is, for me, misbehaving
again....

    --Neil

1971 General Product M35A2, Turbo, W/W ($8000, make that $8500 and it's
yours!!!)
1963 Kaiser Jeep M274A1
1985 Turtle Mountain M105A2