Re: [MV] Pulley Nut

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 21:11:10 PDT

> The pulley-nut on the L-134 of my 51 M38 won't
> budge! It is also a bit pitted, and I'm afraid that
> too much torquing will roud it off. Other than
> heating with a torch, any new ideas for removal.

A liberal application of Kroil and an impact wrench perhaps??

> I am going to replace it, so destruction of the nut
> is OK.

Split it in two maybe? Using a cape chisel make two grooves 180 degrees
apart along the axis of the nut. As I recall that nut is not hardened or at
least not much. Have a helper hold a large chunk of steel on the opposite
side up against the nut, not only helps prevent damage the crank but the
ballast will actually make the chisel cut deeper and faster. Perhaps just
starting the groove/notch will relieve the tight fit and it will come off on
it's own. This is the way you can remove sleeves and bearings that are stuck
onto shafts, start making a line with hammer and chisel along the axis and
it will actually expand the sleeve/bearing, often enough to be able to pull
it of by hand.

good luck,

je