Adventures in flat towing the M-35

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 09:11:46 PDT

Greetings list. I've just returned from another 1100 mile trip flat towing an
M35 with a meduim towbar. Not to bore everybody with why one would drag one
of these over the Smoky Mountains, I did have a problem that I was able to
resolve and wanted to share it with the list. The M35 I was towing had no
engine or transmission. Once it was prepped for towing (removing axles, drive
flanges, adding towing lights), I started off base. Much to my frustration,
it wouldn't track with the towing vehicle. Either the front wheels would stay
straight or turn in the opposite direction. I stopped off base in a large
parking lot to analyze the problem. I jacked up the front of the truck to
see if steering was obstructed in some way. The steering had a sticky spot
for about 1 turn of the wheel in the straight position. Figuring that it was
from sitting, I worked the wheel lock to lock, dozens of times. No fix at
all. To make a long story short, I figured out that the drag was in the
steering box. I added oil and even attemted to disconnect the drag link. Oil
was no help and with my small amout of tools, I couldn't disconnect the drag
link. With my back against the wall I tried one last field fix. I loosened
the locknut on the sector adjustment of the steering box and backed the
adjusting screw out 1/2 turn. Bingo, steering restored! Things I've learned
after 3000 miles of flat towing dueces ;
1) Deuces without engines don't track as well
2) Shorter trucks (M275) track much better
3) Make more left turns ( they turn better left)
4) Medium tow bars are only medium by name (heavy SOB)
5) Move as much weight as possible from the towed truck to the towing truck.
(outside tires, spare, cargo etc.)
6) Towing over mountains is stressful
7) Deuce lug wrenches don't loosen deuce lug nuts
8) Don't be in a hurry
9) If you can afford it, let somebody else move your truck for you
10) Towing is an adventure, only if you survive to talk about it. Be
extremely careful!

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL U.S.A.
AM General M-35A2 w/w