M35 Engine Rebuild Suggestion

From: kbernste32@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 14:55:38 PDT

With patient help and suggestions from my list friends and others,
I'm finally reassembling Big Mike's multifuel.
Its quite a learning curve, but not impossible.

My suggestion to others also doing this over the
winter: money spent taking your heads to a good machine
shop is well spent. Heads looked fine, but machinist
pointed out where army rebuilders used a "featherduster"
(air-driven mini-sander) to clean head surface last time.
Result is non-planar mating and repeated head gasket failure
(as in mine). Regrinding valves and seats is also cheap and worth it.

While doing this rebuild I have assembled a list of
great suggestions, and best parts suppliers for each component.
MV Magazine apparently didn't want it - but if it helps you,
e-mail me and I'm glad to share it, so that your learning curve
is gentle....my one caveat - I'm not done, and the blind could be
leading the blind.

Thanks again for all the advice

Kerry Bernstein