Re: [MV] a question about military suburban

From: micdunn (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 08:24:16 PDT

I never saw a Suburban in the Gulf in '91, but this may be interesting. The
Japanese government was one of our allies, but could not supply troops
because of Japanese politics. They did, however, donate hundreds of SUV's to
the war effort. Most of the really nicely painted ones went to the REMF's in
Riyadh, D'Haran and Bahrain. At the pointy end, we painted a few of them
sand CARC with brushes. It was not unusual to see brand new Land Cruisers
with the black inverted 'V' over sand paint. I never saw one in actual
combat, but I saw a few shot up. Mostly by us. (When they broke hard)
After the war, many of them were shipped to Germany and beaten into the
ground. There was no supply system to keep them running, so they ended up at
DRMO.
FWIW
-Sarge