The Wall in Oconomowoc WI

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 18:27:08 PDT

I went to the moving wall memorial saturday morning at the Oconomowoc High
School (Wisconsin, about 30 miles west of Milwaukee) in the mule. I parked
next to some M151's and a hummer on the grass. Had lots of interest in the
mule, many people came up and said they drove them in Vietnam. The two
jeeps, both M151-A1's are owned by current career army people one of which
will be retiring in a month or so. One guy was just flabergasted (sp?) at my
mule, he said he drove them in 'nam and has been wanting one for years and
only recently ever saw one for sale on E-Bay. I filled him in on the mule
scoop and MV mag and MVPA, etc. He posed for pictures with it came back
several times to look and talk more.

Only casuallty was that I had gone up to the cerimony area to see my
alderman and diner owner (where I eat lunch often) make her little speech
representing the city, upon my return there were two biker dudes leaning on
my mule. As I got closer I saw that the one had a chain on his wallet. I
said very politely "I see you have a chain on your wallet.... I hope it
isn't scratching my paint" to which he gets up and shure as snot, scratches
all over the handrail, down the primer for sure. To which he says "well
there are scratches all over, over there, over here, etc." Never said sorry.
Looked (long scrubby hair, dirty cloths) and acted like stereotypical biker
trash. He was a good 6-5 and 300+. I though of what I could say if I had
the nerve, perhaps "Where is your bike, I'd like to lean against it and
scratch up the paint for you". I seem to have real good luck attracting
dumb ass people to my stuff, last year at a parade and display at a local
military academy I turned my back for 5 minutes to get a soda and found a
half dozen cadets standing on the hood of my deuce posing for a picture.
Maybe I'd better start carrying some posts and rope everything off, or not
travel to these things alone, have some reinforcements to watch each others
stuff.

Other than that it was a nice event. The wall which is half size is still
impressive. I only knew one person on it, actually a grade school class mate
who's brother was on it that is.

later,

je