Re: [MV] M35 gassers

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 18:38:28 PDT

I like the gas engines. Big, heavy.. very nice really, but old, so maybe not so powerful. Never snicker at a truck that weighs more than 4 tons.

I would have chosen the older gas type of deuce especially with the automatic transmission, but they are commanding higher prices commensurate with age and condition, and I've heard that the automatic
is troublesome. but I don't really know. The question put to me when I was trying to choose a gas/auto or diesel/manual deuce was, "are you going to abuse it, or drive it in parades and to picnics?

I chose abuse, and was directed to the diesel.

Probably sacrilege, but one could build a reliable 300HP 300FT-LB small block chevy and, well I don't know what you'd do about fitting it to the gasser's transmission.. Is that "butchering up an
antique" or "customizing your deuce"?

Anyone tuned up that huge gas engine and gotten some power from it?