hummer, H2 - GM marketing at it's best!

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 12:05:53 PDT

So what does the Hummer II have over a Tahoe?

I pulled up the website for the hummer II and they show the drive train, well not exactly all of the drivetrain. They only show the front drive train. It sure looks
like a GM IFS setup to me. Then I clicked on the rear suspension link - whoops, I guess they don't want you to see that one. They just show a Hummer II
with a wheel up in the air. The fact is that it has a 5 link suspension with coil springs over a solid axle just like it's GM brother. Along with that come the low
ground clearance of a hanging differential. No geared hubs here folks. This suspension is only a bit more sophisticated than my 78 Chevy van.

Lets face it the Hummer II is a simple exploitation of the Hummer name hung on a look a like vehicle made to look like the real thing.

Motor Trend, (the magazine that is available to the highest bidder) is of course testing the Hummer II. I read some of their reviews. As informative as ever:
excerpt - ate two tacos, and drove 35 miles, got 10 mpg at 65 mph, blah blah blah. I wonder how much that advertisement cost GM.

I don't believe that the Hummer II is nearly as capable as the Hummer H1 on the trail. The crawl ratio is 33:1. It has poor ground clearance. It gets 10 mpg.
Sure it has advanced traction controls, but so do a lot of minivans.

I'm sure that it would be quite adequate pulling an Airstream trailer down the pike. Or doing some light trail rides, but that's about all.

I'm sure it's more comfortable, but so is my Ford Taurus.

Let's not forget it has Hummer on the front grill. That has to be worth at least $20K.

(I'm willing to paint "Hummer on the front of my 78 van and let it go for say.... a measely $20K) . Save 30K and have more room!

Dave
M51