Re: [MV] hummer, H2 number two only in design age

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 11:56:25 PDT

As always, the US military will buy small quantities of specialized vehicles
for jobs, which is why the Moffet Field trucks probably were sourced.
Possibly U-1100's or something similiar.

The standard model Unimog used by the US military is the SEE tractor (Small
Emplacement Excavator), seen with front loader and a folding backhoe. The
chassis was the last variant of the "406" series, and as such, carries the
"419" designation. Slightly more power, better braking, some design
modifications. But when you get down to it, it's still an old design that
does the job.

The "404" model (Unimog S) is a gasoline engine, and was the only gas
powered model built by M-B. All other Unimog models are Diesel powered.

The Unimog S is a bit light to carry any implements on it - does a great job
carrying cargo over rough terrain, but it wouldn't last under the loading of
a heavy hydraulic set up. It's still one of the most popular Unimogs out
there, due to price, availability of parts, and ease of maintenance. Then
again, many of the 404 owners eventually start getting the urge to move up
to something more industrial, and wind up purchasing a Diesel Unimog -
either a 406 or a 416.

Regards,
Greg
Vista, CA

Best damned Rhodesian Ridgeback in the world:
(and not just because she bit Mark P. in the leg..)
Mzirand. 2.27.90-4.17.01
RIP