Barrel bulge

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 14:33:13 PDT

Thanks to all that answered. Here is one reply I received for thsoe who might be
interested also:

Back in my day, they called them Bore Evacuators. The bulge is a chamber where
expanding gases are trapped momentarily.
After the shell leaves the barrel the preassure drops and the gas bleeds back
out of the chamber, angled towards the muzzle.
When the breach opens, almost at the same instant the shell leaves the barrel, a
draft is created and air is pulled into the breach and gasses go out the muzzle.

The ports in the barrel for the bore evacuator are controled by big ball
bearings backed by springs.

Hope this helps!

Dave B

-John