Re: [MV] H2: Not so fast... (+half track questions!)

From: Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@wxs.nl)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 11:47:56 PDT

The roller is indeed for crossing ditches etc. I don't know if they really
worked.
The International Half-Tracks also had rollers and some had winches, just
like the
M3 and M2 models.
The M2 has a shorter body then the M3, the M2 was built for scouting duty's
and could
carry about 7 people (including driver) it has a completely different
internal lay-out then the M3 which was built transporting soldiers only, it
could carry 13 people (including driver). The International M9 could be
compared to the M2 and the M5 could be compared to the M3, the International
Half-Tracks had the same outer dimensions though.
The M16 was built for carrying quad .50 machine guns for anti-aircraft duty
(and
anti-personell duty also). The upper armour plate could be folded to the
outside
to give the gun tower free clearence all around. M3's were converted to
M16's later in the war and after the war, they are a little different from
the real M16's.
Because of the rubber tracks it has to be no problem to get the Half-Track
licensed and
use it on the street. They are real fun to drive, on the road they are a bit
less fun to drive,
especially when they are nicely dressed out with lot's of ammo cans and
other stuff on them, the noise that they make then is incredible. The M5 has
a great engine and a very nice gearbox, they can do 50 mph easily and they
drive just fine at 40 mph. Be very carefull of braking hard, always whatch
in the mirrors if there is somebody behind you
bacause nothing on earth can stop as fast as a Half-Track (except for a
full-track off course).
Best Regards,

Auke Dijkstra
Netherlands