Re: [MV] M35 oil pressure at startup

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 23:44:26 PDT

Here is the info from the current manual....nothing about 'pre-cranking to
pressurize oil system' or warming up engine before use. Just crank, start,
watch for 'AT LEAST 10 psi OIL PRESSURE' and move out.

The old TM 9-8022 says to start engine and watch for oil pressure to rise
within 30 seconds. While waiting, observe generator, air pressure and
temperature gauges for proper operation. If no oil pressure reading after 30
seconds, shut it down. No warm up required on this gas engined truck either.

    I don't have my copy of the 209-10 handy at the moment, so I can't quote
that one. But I will defer to DDoyle in regards to 'how it should be done'
on the M44 series trucks.

FWIW
Per the 361-10:

2-14. STARTING THE ENGINE (ABOVE +20°F) (-6.7°C) (Contd)
CAUTION
Do not press start button for more than 10 seconds at any time
or with headlights on. If engine does not start in 10 seconds,
wait 10 to 15 seconds before pressing start button again.
Failure to do this may result in damage to starter.
m. Press start button (1) until engine starts.
n. Release clutch pedal (4).
CAUTION
If any instrument reading is not normal, stop engine immediately
by pulling out engine stop control knob and notify your
supervisor. Failure to do this may result in damage to engine.
o. Check for the following instrument readings:
(1) Make sure oil pressure gage (2) reads at least 10 psi.
(2) Make sure battery/generator indicator (3) reads in the green area.

! Do not place vehicle in motion until warning buzzer stops
and air pressure gage reads at least 85 psi. Failure to do
this may result in brake failure, causing injury or death to
personnel. !

! If warning buzzer does not go on when engine starts, stop
engine and notify your supervisor. Failure to do so may
result in injury or death to personnel. !

! If NBC exposure is suspected, all air filter media should be
handled by personnel wearing protective equipment. Consult
your unit NBC officer or NBC NCO for appropriate handling
or disposal instructions. !

(3) Make sure air pressure gage (6) reads 85 psi to 120 psi.
(4) Make sure air cleaner indicator (7) does not show red.
(5) Make sure temperature gage (5) reads 180°F to 200°F.
p. Stop engine immediately and notify your supervisor if any of the
following
occur:
(1) Engine is vibrating or making excessive noise.
(2) Oil pressure does not register or suddenly drops below 10 psi.
(3) Engine temperature rises sharply to 210°F or more, or stays below 180°F.

2-16. PLACING THE VEHICLE IN MOTION
a. Make sure front winch, tools, and auxiliary equipment are locked and
stowed for travel.
b. Start engine. Refer to para. 2-14 or 2-15.
c. Set light switch (3) to desired position. (Refer to para. 2-20.)
d. Depress clutch pedal (7). (cont.)

Ronzo