gasoline

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 17:31:05 PDT

Let me add my .02 to the discussion about gasoline--

a few years back place where I worked had methyl alcohol in stock and the
owner wanted to add some to gasoline to see if would improve performance. We
had a 1000 gallon new storage tank and he purchased 900 gallons of gasoline
and add 100 gallons methyl alcohol, this is when we made the discovery that
we should have used ethyl alcohol for the methyl cut stuff out of tanks of
the four vehicles that we used in in, the stuff had the appearance of hard
tar. vehicles ranged in age from 1968 to 1980 - mileage from 200,000 to
50,000 the more miles the more stuff was in tank, we had to pull tanks off
all the vehicles and clean them out the 1980 model might have had a teaspoon
full in it, the older truck had double hand full. The alcohol we used was
new and in clean drums had never been opened, tank was new had only been
used for 1 tank of gasoline before this and had double outlet filters on it.
We had to go get two of the vehicles that had quit on road from plugged fuel
filters. The stuff we got out of tanks if left laying in sun would slowly
melt into tar.

Also on this same line I have a customer that handles alcohol for use as
fuel additive it is ethyl (grain) alcohol that has 10% gasoline added to it
to render it undrinkable for ethyl is what whisky is. I understand that
once gasoline is added to the alcohol it is not reasonable possible to get
it back out.

Further I also understand that methyl alcohol can attack some of the gasket
and "O" ring material in older vehicles causing it to fail.

By the way we experimented with alcohol in diesel this was complete failure
caused separation into 3 parts -- do not know what they were only did a 5
gallon can and shook it up and drew samples in glass containers this sat a
few hours then separated.

As far as I know I have not had any problem with gasoline/alcohol mix that I
purchased from commercial sources and used in vehicles from l946 to 2002.

Everette
Everette

Still around the corner there may wait, a new road or a secret gate. Though
I have often passed them by, a day will come, when I shall take, the hidden
paths that run west of the moon and east of the sun.