Re: Best Museum - Bovvy, transport

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 00:56:03 PDT

Steve

> Hehe, I didn't get caught in that one (but London at 2am with "shaddow
> cabs"... that's another story!).

I think I can guess, but please explain?

> died in some sort of plague :-) So guess what I did? I *walked* from
> the train station all the way to the museum. It was a wonderful walk.
-snip-
> :-) Only problem was I didn't anticipate time needed to walk and so it
> cut deeply into my museum time.

I did consider it, but it was too hot (yes, in England, mainly because
I was still suffering from jetlag) and looked too far. I was time
limited so as not to get back to London too late. But most of all it
would have cut into my museum time.

> It's like the difference between schiessen and scheissen. One is
> something you say to not get shot and the other when you do get shot :-)
> Germans are real serrious about getting the details right!

That they are. It didn't half take some educating Andreas as to what
a Schmeisser was (MP-38/40). He kept insisting that the term means "to
throw" as in rocks and has nothing to do with guns. It was only after
I asked a few other English speakers "what was the WW2 German
sub-machine gun called" and they answered "Schmeisser" that I managed
to convince him. What clinched it was when another German said he knew
the term too, but from Anglo-Saxons, not other Germans! Beats me, every
war comic, war movie, collector etc refers to them by that name. Just
not the Germans!
But then we seem to take glee in hanging nick names on
their products, he used to own a VW Golf - "Vee Dub" to us, he then
bought a BMW car and it instantly became a "Beamer" to the rest of us.

Es ist nicht korrekt namen..................

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au