Re: [MV] Idea - Military Only Zone

From: Jim & Pat Winne (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 15:26:58 PDT

At 22:19 10/6/2002 -0400, ddoyle9570@aol.com wrote:

Right on David! You know too how things get out of hand. I used to have
an interest in Civil War Reinactment back in the mid 70"s and was around
when a small group of folks started doing a reinactment of the Olustee
battle around Lake City Fla. It started out in the parking lot (because
they would not allow us in the park) and a couple of hundred folks came out
to observe the rag-tag group. As time went on, it got bigger and more
organized. Pretty soon, you had to buy the official regulation uniform and
bits of Kit from certain vendors if you wanted to be in the thing. No more
home made uniforms, no more buckskins, and the yuppie crowd clamored for
control. Now, the event is attended by (at last estimate) something like
100,000 spectators. They have it in the actual park and it is an
impressive show. It is not fun anymore and is now a media event that has
taken on a life of it's own. There should be room in any hobby for the
folks that just want to get together and enjoy the good comradery and
shared fun.

Best regards to all;
Jim (KB4IVH)
MVPA #17216

><Anyhow, my point is.....it is very, very easy once you start banning
>things for it to get out of hand. While YOU may be aware and sensitive to
>this, the next guy may not be and may rule with iron fist.

This is what makes these outings fun and is how we get kids interested in
history and that "old junk" we all love so much.