Re: [MV] Idea - Military Only Zone

From: J. Lee (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 11:19:58 PDT

If you have ever been to an MV event, like Woodson Bridge, Big Bear,
Quanset, Gilbert, Ft. Stewart, etc., you know there is a lot of different
facets to these things. You got your MV show part, the vendor selling -
swap meet part, then there is the family camping, sometimes reenacting, MV
trail rides, etc.. all important to the event success and its all sort of
mixed up in one area.

Sometimes (stressing the sometimes part) these things get a little too mixed
up with civilian activities and vehicles. Like when motor homes, camp
trailers, SUV's and white patio tents out number the MV's 10 to 1, it
dilutes the impact of the MV effort. IMHO....it takes away from our
original intent to protect, preserve and restore military vehicles for
historical reasons. In that case, maybe organizers need to revisit original
intent of the MV hobby and see if there isn't a way to accomplish
everybody's needs without taking away from the MV show part.

We could take a lesson Civil War Reenactors when it comes to separation of
military from non-military. They really have nice turnouts because it looks
civil war, its living history, not just another KOA camp ground.

The obvious downside is the loss of certain conveniences in the "military
only zone." And I say that knowing the older I get, the more important
convenience becomes! And obviously, this idea is not for everyone. The
main point is, its gotta make sense to do it and it ought to be done to make
events better, not more exclusive. Obviously not every event can do a
"military only zone." But, for those who can, the payoff in fun, in
presented a dignified, history oriented display, the vet appreciation and
community appeal makes the extra effort doing a "military only zone" really
makes it all worthwhile. If we start drifting our events toward
authenticity displays, I think we would do better attracting more people,
insuring continuation of the hobby and offering a more quality event and
that has to be to everyone's benefit.

Thats my two cents worth...

Jack