Re: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 12:47:46 PDT

At 2:48 PM -0700 10/8/02, Henry J. Fackovec wrote:
>That's a great point, we definitely need more new blood into the hobby.
>
>In my experience, as a "purist", most of the reenactors I have dealt with
>want a "prop" that runs, as apposed to my (and I emphasize MY preference,
>not what everyone wants out of the hobby) preference to do a correct factory
>restoration with attention to minute and inane details preserving a piece of
>historical artifact for posterity. But I am sure there are ones that will
>surprise me.

Having the vehicle in proper running condition is vital to its future
performance if you're going to have it operational for future
generations. Personally, I think that Factory class shouldn't be
considered the only Ideal. That is terribly close to Warbirds that
sit in hangars and never leave the ground. A vehicle should be run.
People should hear it and see it. Seeing it running over rough ground
and off road is further demonstration of its nature.

The ideal (to me) is a vehicle properly painted, stowed and kitted
out for the period and theatre with people around it properly dressed
and kitted out for the period and theatre.

My Dingo (and the Humber when it hits the US shore) spends some of
its time at air-shows and re-enactments getting worked on (yes, I'll
pull maintenance right there with period tools and some un period
tools for sheer sanity). Folks can walk by and see guys in our unit
crawling under vehicles getting greasy and dirty working on them. In
our ideal, its more realistic for a Recce unit that's at Harbor which
is what we portray when we're at a show and in a static display.

It also gets driven around. If I can do so safely, I'll show the fast
reversing ability of the gearbox arrangement and drive around
backwards is higher gears for a bit when there's a clear area to do
so.

--
  Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                  |          -==----
  '60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '43 Humber MkIV (1/2)