Re: [MV] GAMMA GOAT ??

From: Mark J. Blair (ke6myk_mvlist@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 14:43:11 PDT

Gray, Chris wrote:

> HI Everyone.. Few questions on the gamma goat...

I'll take a shot at them.

> I've never been around one, don't know anything about them, if these sound
> stupid go easy on me....

Even once you've been around one, they're unusual enough that you'll still
have a lot of questions! :-)

> 1. The machine I was looking at didn't have the trailer part attached to
> it.. Can it run without the trailer? Any problems?

I do not know, but before buying one without the trailer, I'd consider whether
I just wanted a wierd truck to play with, or a Gama Goat. Without the trailer
(assuming it'll drive OK), it's not really a Gama Goat, just an unusual little
truck, in my humble opinion.

> 2. How are parts for this thing? Are they available? Easy to fix?

The engine is a Detroit 3-53, which I don't think is all that uncommon. Many
parts (mirror heads, lights, horn, etc.) are common. Pretty much the entire
driveline is unique, as far as I know. I was able to get almost all of the
parts I needed for mine from Riv-Rad. The only part I could not find was a
replacement for my truck's missing lower alternator bracket (the alternator
itself is a common M-series alternator, and Riv-Rad had the special pulley). I
had to make one, and I'd still like to find the correct replacement. If
anybody has a spare alternator bracket to hang a military 60A alternator on a
Detroit 3-53, please let me know!

> 3. Heard it can go in the water?? Is this true? Problems??

Yes, it's true. No, I haven't tried it. As I recall (off the top of my head),
it's limited to 4 MPH and 6" waves, so it's only intended for use in calm
inland waters with no significant current. There's a bilge pump for the
tractor, but I don't think there's one for the trailer. I personally would not
consider floating one until I replaced all of the external seals and shaft
seals (including the tailgate seal), very carefully inspected the entire hull,
tested the bilge pump, and did a test-float in a pit of water so that if it
sinks I can recover it easily. I also would only float it with the top off,
the seat belt unfastened, and with a life jacket on, just in case. It's just
propelled and steered in the water by the tires; there's no propeller or rudder.

> 4. How heavy is the tractor part without the trailer (for puting it on a
> trailer to get home)..

Here are the weights from the books:

Curb weight 7,300 lbs.
Payload 2,900 lbs.
Gross weight 10,200 lbs.
Front axle GVW 2,745 lbs.
Center axle GVW 3,900 lbs.
Rear axle GVW 3,555 lbs.

This doesn't really answer your question, but it's all the information that I
have. To play it safe, I'd use a trailer rated for the whole curb weight of
7,300 pounds. One could guess at the trailer weight from the numbers above,
but I'm not sure how the weight distribution varies in empty and unladen
configurations, and in any case, I don't think measuring the unladen axle
weights of my truck would accurately indacate how much of the unladen trailer
weight is borne by the center axle.

Note that the oil pump on the transfer case is not self-priming and is located
above the sump level. The firt thing to do before driving a Goat that has sat
around for a while is to remove the center console, crack open the oil pipe
fitting at the upper right of the transfer case (facing the front of the
vehicle, that is... the engine and driveline are installed backwards compared
to most vehicles!) with the engine running until oil starts coming out. In
severe cases, I've been told it's necessary to manually prime it with an oil
can, but I didn't need to do that to mine. Failure to follow this step can
lead to destruction of the transfer case if the pump has lost its prime. Hmm,
it might be possible to access the fitting through that little sliding door on
teh right side of the center console (I do not remember, and my Goat is parked
a quarter mile or so away from my keyboard), but it'd probably be a good idea
to pull the whole console the first time in order to see what shape stuff is
in, and learn where everything is.

Just my two cents' worth, and I hope it helps. I have more Gama Goat specs on
my web page (see URL below). Have fun!

--
Mark J. Blair, KE6MYK <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/