Re: [MV] Working radios in MV's

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 21:14:45 PDT

The deviation on those old mil sets is +/- 15 KHz. Current amateur practice is 5 KHz. If the mil radio guy just talks softly, he
will not deviate the full 15 KHz, and the amateur receiver will work fine. The amateur transmitter, deviating only 5 KHz will
sound weak, but readable to the mil radio guy. We do it all the time at shows. There is a 'new squelch' function on some mil
radios, which is just a 150.0 Hz subaudible tone. It's very close to a standard PLL tone of 151Hz (or something like that). Some
need it, some don't. Jim W7LS