RE: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

From: Henry J. Fackovec (hfackovec@easternems.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 05:40:40 PDT

Andy,Andy, Andy.....

First, I have never claimed to be much more that an idiot(at least in
this arena.).So your attempt to lower me to your level is not going to
work.

Second, I am not a veteran, At the time that was appropriate for
military service (1979), I chose to do domestic service instead, and I
dare say that in my 5 years in the South Bronx I have had to deal with
more unfriendlies with guns, knives, fists and television sets(Long
story, but perhaps they should consider a three day waiting period for
Toshibas) than most people in the Army during that time. I can only hope
that in your reenacting/life that you never have to face a real bad guy,
with a real gun, with real bullets, aimed at you as I have.

Third, Why would you assume that my father pushed papers etc during the
war: He was a Merchant Marine Crewmen on liberty ships (Because he chose
to join the fray at 16 and the Navy would not take him because of his
age), served on primarily unarmed boats, he was torpedoed and sunk
twice, (Once on the convoy PQ-17, you're a teacher, look it up), spent
time bobbing around the Atlantic waiting for rescue, and got back on the
boats and went back to sea with no complaints. He was at Normandy with
the first wave of troops going ashore. As a Merchant Marine, we was
ignored when he came back, But that was OK with him, because he went to
fight for liberty not personal recognition. My father does not talk
about his experience because of his personal choice, and I respect that.
There is much that I want to know, but will not ask him to relive the
experiences. My advice to you if you father is willing to share, make
oral history tapes, videos and ASK questions. It is people like him that
are treasures to our nation and military and social historians.

Fourth, I had been a reenactor or for many years, I started in 1975 with
the B.A.R., Worked in a Restoration Complex, became one of the better
reproduction leather workers in the north east, did Civil War
impressions, did WWI and WWII impressions and reenactments and then grew
out of it. If you would like to rummage thru my closets there are many
thousands of dollars worth of uniforms and equipment that you can have
first shot at before they go onto ebay. I too love history, but choose
to pursue it in a different manor. (If you would like to poke fun at me
for learning blacksmithing, reading, or being a leatherworker, feel
free, I am apparently thicker skinned than you.)

As I said in one of my follow up posts, There is plenty of room in this
world for all aspects of the hobby. FOR ME: I choose to think that the
reenacting is silly and not a good learning or teaching tool. REPEAT:
That is my OPINION. ONLY an OPINION. Perhaps if other peoples opinions
are so hurtful to you, you might want to work on that with someone.

Keep your powder dry,
Respectfully,

Hankie

Oh, and as far as "leaving my petty nonsense at home": This is my home.
Its An MV List, not a reenacting list.