Re: [MV] Reenactors have no right!!! unless they were there

From: Cor Streutjens (cstreutjens@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 23:11:35 PDT

I agree with you. I became interested during a holiday spent in Normandy
where I visited the invasion beaches. I won't ever forget the feelings
walking on the shorelines, through the villages, the cemetary behind Omaha
Beach. To me there is no green toys, no GI Joes, only respect for the
individuals who risked their lives thousands of miles from home to fight a
war so we can live our lives today in (relative) freedom. Every OD vehicle
can be seen as some kind of a monument to them. So to my humble opinion
there is nothing wrong with what we do (maybe even wearing German uniforms,
something I personally would never never do because although I was born in
1958 it still feels far too, well, evil if you understand what I am trying
to say. Please remember that over here in Europe there are still many people
living who actually suffered horribly during the occupation and do not wish
to be confronted with anything WWII German to this day) as long as there is
respect (I can't think of a better word right now) for those who were and
still are actually involved.

Apologies for rambling a bit,
My two (Euro)cents' worth,

Regards,